Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Movie recommendation...

There are a lot of mistakes you can make in a movie. Lame plot. Too much plot. Not respecting the intelligence of the audience. Having nothing to say. Bad acting. Gratuitous scenes. Bad music. Bad camerawork. Wasting screen time explaining things the audience can accept without explanation. You name it. Sometimes I'm amazed at how many movies get made that are actually worth watching.

Even if the director, the screenwriter, the actors and all the others who conspire to create a movie don't make any of these mistakes, or dozens of others that someone who actually knows something about making movies could probably recite, but that I'm not aware of, you may not get a great movie. But sometimes you do.

A great movie doesn't appeal to every viewer. Some people won't understand it, because the director overestimated them. Some people will be offended by it, because it say something meaningful, and whenever you say something meaningful people get offended. Some people will see only the surface, and miss the depths that the director tried to communicate, and so will see the movie as superficial when it is not.

V for Vendetta is a great movie. I doubt it'll win any Oscars (although I hope it does). But it is truly a great movie. If you haven't seen it, I recommend that you do so. I can't say what about the movie is great, and I can't promise that you'll like it. So many things about it worked, and (at least to me) they didn't make any serious slipups. Ted-bob sez check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home