Monday, March 26, 2007

Memory

I just finished Linda Nagata's book Memory. I don't normally blog about books, which is probably a mistake, but anyway, it should be taken as some kind of indication that I felt like mentioning her book here. I won't claim that the book will change your life, but what I found remarkable about it was how nicely it managed to merge the two genres of fantasy fiction and cyberpunk into an organic whole. It felt a lot like reading the Lord of the Rings. I don't mean it's equivalent to the Lord of the Rings - it's not - but it has that same mythic quality. The language is lovely. The characters are thoughtful, and believable. The setting is alien, in a very interesting way - it's a place you might well want to visit, even though it's rather dangerous.

Anyway, now when you go read it you'll have high expectations and you'll hate it, but at least Linda will have gotten some multiplier on the sale she made to me, so my work as an appreciative fan is done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Shetterly said...

Haven't read it. Noted. More book reviews fine by me!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home