Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The storm seems to have passed...

Andrea's good news page got mentioned on reddit, and then on boingboing, and then on digg. We got about 260,000 hits on it in the 24 hours that followed it appearing on the front page of digg for the first time. The server did poorly at first because I had it configured with too few http daemons, but once I corrected that it chugged along just fine. It helps that the page was a static page.

One of the coolest things about being boingdotted was that we got to see where people were coming from. In addition to the big three, there were lots of blog comments, and lots of discussion. One of the happiest things that happened for me was that one of the blogs misattributed a quote from Back to Methuselah, a play by George Bernard Shaw, to Robert Kennedy, and so I found myself on Robert Kennedy's wikipedia page checking the quote before using it myself. And there I found a plethora of quotes, one of which I will now share with you:

What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? No martyr's cause has ever been stilled by an assassin's bullet. No wrongs have ever been righted by riots and civil disorders. A sniper is only a coward, not a hero; and an uncontrolled, uncontrollable mob is only the voice of madness, not the voice of reason. Whenever any American's life is taken by another American unnecessarily - whether it is done in the name of the law or in the defiance of the law, by one man or a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence - whenever we tear at the fabric of the life which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, the whole nation is degraded.

We used to have people like this running for public office. And we can again. May it be so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jym said...

=v= I read on the Internet that the Han Solo part proves that you wrote it. It was in Wikipedia or Snopes or something.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't even know who Greedo is. Why won't people stop hounding me?!?

:')

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home