Sunday, May 31, 2009

You know you want to...

We drove out to DM today, and so the Tikit was in the back of the Prius. I didn't have to pack it as tightly as I did last weekend, so it looks pretty relaxed in the trunk, and I though to take some pictures.





Of course, the Tikit was just sitting there eyeing me coyly, as if to say "you know you want to go for a ride, big boy." What was I going to do? So I took it out and rode it up to Fort Bowie. I ran into a ranger up there, who though the Tikit was pretty cool, and we talked about National Parks we had in common for a while. The decent from Fort Bowie is very steep at first, but it levels out a bit and becomes very nice. Of course it's very, very short - it's probably a mile from the trailer to the fort. But it was a nice ride. My iPhone ran out of juice, so I couldn't take any pictures. Guess I'll have to go up again...

2 miles, 30 minutes, including yakking.

Yesterday I went for a ride down Aviation Highway, south on Alvernon (next time I'll take Palo Verde) and back across on Ajo and back up on Park. It was a pretty nice ten-mile ride - enough to get my metabolism up, but not demanding, so I could do it every day. I went that way kind of randomly, so I didn't actually plan the route, and missed out on a couple of great opportunities for bike paths. The route under I-10 there is not particularly great, although there was almost no traffic on Ajo, so it was fine. But it turns out that there's a drainage channel that runs all through that area, and there's a bike path along and in some cases *in* the drainage channel, so that you can completely bypass all that stuff. It looks pretty cool - I will try it next time.

11 miles, less then an hour.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tikit looks comfy in the boot. :-)

Monday, June 01, 2009 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

Yup, like it was meant to be...

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:30:00 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Just curious.
Which Ft. Bowie? The only one that I know is way out east in the Chiricahuas.
Is there one near DM?

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

That's the same one. Diamond Mountain is what's left of the Bear Springs Ranch, which lies to the north and west of Fort Bowie.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

I just realized in rereading this that you meant "Davis-Montham." I have the opposite experience--when I'm in Tucson, and I see a sign for "DM Credit Union," I think "huh, Diamond Mountain has a credit union?"

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home