Monday, August 13, 2007

Speaking of evolution, Andrea and I have been watching Dr. Who on a DVD set that Elly brought back with her from the wilds of Canada. The latest episode but one involved a weird sort of plague, which turned out to involve nanobots. You hear about nanobots sometimes in U.S. films, but they always get the implications of what a nanobot is horribly wrong. Dr. Who's nanobots actually made sense, at least on a computer science level. Extra points for a very inventive grey goo scenario (one that involved no grey goo, but was still just as chilling).

Maybe it's no accident that a lot of my favorite hard science fiction is coming from british authors these days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Correction: The DVD is on loan from my brother in Chicago.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:01:00 PM  
Blogger JohnG said...

For those of us who don't have Andrea's brother to loan us the DVD, what are the points that you particularly liked and what about the film depiction are you most annoyed about?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

Oh golly, I can't remember after all this time, but e.g. the "nanites" in I, Robot seemed pretty lame. I don't remember why anymore. I think they were fairly magical.

What I liked about the Who episode was the Doctor's explanation of why the nanites were making the mistake they were making. But really, just find someone to borrow the DVDs from. Honest, it's worth watching, unless you really just have better things to do with your time than watch TV shows (and, I might add, who doesn't?).

Sunday, August 19, 2007 9:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home