Friday, November 16, 2007

I finished leveling the trailer. It was not the work of moments - the light was nearly gone by the time I put the tools away. There were no more really big rocks, but there was a pretty big rock that took quite a bit of effort to undermine to the point where the caliche bar would budge it. But at least this one was light enough that I could pick it up, rather than having to lever it out of the hole.

The actual leveling process, once I'd dug the level spot for the wheels to go, was still pretty fraught. If you're curious, you can see it in the comments for the previous post. But now for some more pictures.



The Prius' expression, in case it's not obvious to you, is "you have got to be kidding!"



This is the uphill view. You really don't get a sense of the size of the mountains in this shot, unfortunately. The one to the left looks like a pretty exciting scramble. The one with the knob on top in the distance may be a technical climb. Not that I really care - mostly it's nice to look at, framed as it is by the nearer mountains.



Here's a telephoto shot of the knobby peak. Below it you can see the Fort Bowie visitor's center. Ironically, despite the fact that we are building a house here and have been coming out here for about four years now, I have yet to make it up there to visit. I was hoping to do it on this stay, but unless I pull it off tomorrow morning, it's not happening. Sigh.

I've been noticing that my tendency to laze out and go get food at a restaurant is completely stupid. Out here, it's an hour and a half round trip to the nearest restaurant, a Mexican place with lard in the beans but really, really good salsa. Andrea and I ate there last night (she was on her way back to Tucson). Anyway, I thought about getting some food from the Safeway while I was there, but I knew I had enough stuff in the fridge to get by on, even if it's stuff I don't normally cook for myself.

Lo and behold, because I didn't have any choice, I wound up making several quite tasty meals. Something to ponder when I'm back in civilization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home