Wednesday, June 20, 2007

On a completely different note...

We're in Ketchikan right now. I'm sitting in the ship, looking out on this:



I'm going to just dump a bunch of images, per my dad's request. I might actually say something later. Here's a closeup of the view from where I'm sitting:



Internet on the ship is by satellite, and hideously expensive, so I've been enjoying the high-speed connection here, which is emanating from this lovely establishment:



I took a walk when we got onshore. The rain started to get a little gnarly, but I stuck it out because it was nice to walk on land after a day and a half at sea. This is what the ship looks like from across the harbor:



The Ketchikan federal building:



Looking the other way from the federal building. Despite the rain, the place is swarming with tourists - there are three large cruise ships docked at Ketchikan right now.



The inside passage appears to be a lot like a submerged mountain range. The mountains that rise up from the shore rise up quickly, so there isn't a lot of flat land. Apparently one way the folks who built Ketchikan adjusted for this was to build houses on stilts. There's a lot of that here, but this is probably the most picturesque section.



We went through a narrow section at dinnertime yesterday. I didn't get any shots inside the narrows because we were pretty much trapped in the dining room (things are pretty regimented here in terms of when you have to arrive at the dining room). The following set of pictures were all shot within about fifteen minutes, at the narrows.

Andrea, looking very intrepid:



And showing off her blanket-whisperer abilities by talking her shawl into being a hoodie:



Looking back at the narrows:



Some fairly obvious damage that I think is the result of logging:



A really pretty wake:



A nice glacier-carved valley (glacier not included):



Sunset off the prow:



Purple Mountains' Majesty:



A cloud that aspires to be a duck (or maybe an SR-71):



Another gratuitous sunset:



Leaving the Cruise Ship terminal in Vancouver:



The terminal becomes fully visible:



Container ship loading in the harbor:



Closeup of container ship. Notice the giant steel girders toward the bottom:



This Chevron station was visible from my hotel room when I was in Vancouver for IETF. Mostly amphibious aircraft fuel up here - one takes off every half hour or so.



The Lion's Gate Bridge:



Giant pile of sulphur:



Looking back at Vancouver:




Under the Lion's Gate Bridge:



Bike path under the bridge:



Log jam on the bike path:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some terrific pictures, Ted. Looks like you've figured out how to work that new camera!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:25:00 AM  
Blogger Will Shetterly said...

Good pics!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:05:00 AM  
Blogger Jym said...

=v= I've been on that bike path. No logs then, though.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always get a special feeling looking at container ships: my 6-months' job in London in 1980 was working for a company that tracked shipping containers around the world--without computers.

Nice pix, especially of Andrea ;-}.

(This is Penni. Blogger usually doesn't let me log in.)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

How was it? We have an IETF in Vancouver later on - I'm thinking maybe this time I'll get to try Stanley park...

Container ships are just cool. Andrea was delighted that I got some pictures of them, and I was delighted that she asked. Maybe they're like dinosaurs are for kids...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are those interesting-looking sail/tent-like structures?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:47:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

Kunst. I think they're meant to represent sails, but they perform no actual function, other than to look silly from all the hotels along the waterfront.

Friday, June 22, 2007 8:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home