Monday, April 11, 2011

Playing it safe

I just got some mail from Howard Dean asking me to contribute to the campaign of a candidate in a congressional election in the LA basin. His story is that Debra Bowen is running for Jane Harman's recently-vacated seat. She's a progressive. We should help fund her election. A little research shows that this is not the case. Debra Bowen is not a progressive. She's a status-quo Democrat. She supported Enron. I don't mean to say she's a bad person, but that shows poor judgment.

There's a real progressive candidate running for Jane Harman's seat in the primary: Marcy Winograd. She's in favor of cutting military spending. She's in favor of enforcing international law without playing favorites. If I were living in her district, she'd have my vote.

If you got that email from Howard Dean, I suggest you ignore it. I asked to be removed from the mailing list--the last thing I need is people asking me to do things that I wouldn't do if I knew all the details. I usually don't have time to check, so I can't afford to trust a source that's given me bad information.

4 Comments:

Blogger Will Shetterly said...

Howard Dean strikes me as not-a-bad-guy-for-a-Democrat, but I'd never call him a progressive. Congrats on getting off his list.

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Will Shetterly said...

Uh, that may've sounded more smug than I meant. If so, sorry. I think Dean looked better than he was 'cause of his stance on the war.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

I think Howard Dean's a great guy, but he's a little too wired in to the Democratic political machine. I would have happily have voted for him as President when he was running, mostly because I don't think people can rationally expect presidents to be any better than "a good guy," given the electorate they have to please.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Will Shetterly said...

Yeah, I would've voted for him in 2004 too. He would've been a better candidate than Kerry.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home