Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A few more pictures...

I'm desperately afraid of getting behind after yesterday...

This is a bald eagle that some sharp-eyed people in the lounge spotted while I was hanging out uploading the last batch of images. It's shot through a window - that's why the eagle has the funny halo.



Here are some waterfalls coming off the snowfields above Ketchikan:



Two different shots off the bow of the ship at about 10:00pm. The actual light level to my eye was about halfway between the two images. I don't know if I really captured the brooding, blustery quality of the evening - it was quite beautiful. There was a fairly substantial drizzle going on. I'm really enjoying these.




Our cabin steward left a fun surprise for us when he turned down the bed:



(Yes, the whole thing is ridiculous, but still, the elephant was sweet...)

I'm sitting in the internet cafe in Juneau now. Coffee is thin on the ground here. I'll probably go hunting for some shortly. There's a lady sitting next to me at a pay phone speaking staccato Russian. It sounds a little like Italian, the way she's pronouncing it, but it's pretty clearly Russian. Except: "super super."

The floor is swaying rhythmically. I noticed this in Ketchikan, too. Very weird. I think Alaska must be on gimbals or something... :')

Life on the boat has been fun. I would probably never seek out a cruise on my own, for a wide variety of reasons - lack of vegetarian food is a bit hard, the coffee is terrible. The service is weird - we have a cabin steward who makes towel elephants for us, so our room is invaded twice a day, which I really don't like, although my sisters-in-law think I'm crazy, and Andrea does too, and it seems a bit churlish to complain about it.

But I understand why there is such a nostalgia for ocean travel in our culture. The ocean really is spookily, powerfully beautiful at night. The throbbing of the engine sounds like a heartbeat. Even the rocking of the boat is seductive. Watching the world go by at 23mph for hours at a time is surprisingly pleasant. And people on the boat smile at each other a lot, which you don't see so much in the outside world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The night photos are neat. I also liked the bald eagle, although at first I thought it was a photo of a bird with a Dixie cup over its head.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Lemon said...

I think it is, actually. The whole thing is just a scam - the bald eagles actually died out around 1950, and ever since then they just put dixie cups (well, actually rubber helmets with life-like fake white feathers) on the heads of brown eagles.

I saw one of these brown eagles in Juneau, although I wasn't able to locate the factory where they paint the tailfeathers.

Friday, June 22, 2007 8:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home